Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Eyes to See

My Mom Only Had One Eye

Author Unknown

My mom only had one eye.  I hated her...She was such an embarrassment.  She cooked for students and teachers to support the family.

There was this one day during elementary school where my mom came to say hello to me.  I was so embarrassed.

How could she do this to me? I ignored her, threw her a hateful look and ran out. The next day at school one of my classmates said, "EEEE, your mom only has one eye!"

I wanted to bury myself. I also wanted my mom to just disappear.  I confronted her that day and said, "If you're only gonna make me a laughing stock, why don't you just die?"

My mom did not respond...I didn't even stop to think for a second about what I had said, because I was full of anger. I was oblivious to her feelings.

I wanted out of the house, and have nothing to do with her.  So I studied real hard, got a chance to go abroad to study.

Then, I got married.  I bought a house of my own.  I had kids of my own.  I was happy with my life, my kids and the comforts.  Then one day, my Mother came to visit me.  She hadn't seen me in years and she didn't even meet her grandchildren.

When she stood by the door, my children laughed at her, and I yelled at her for coming over uninvited. I screamed at her, "How dare you come to my house and scare my children! GET OUT OF HERE!
NOW!!!"

And to this, my mother quietly answered, "Oh, I'm sorry.  I may have gotten the wrong address."
-and she disappeared out of sight.

One day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house.  So I lied to my wife that I was going
on a business trip.  After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity.

My neighbors said that she died.  I did not share a single tear.  They handed me a letter that she wanted me to have.

"My dearest son,

I think of you all the time.  I'm sorry that I came to your house and scared your children.

I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion.  But I may not be able to even get out of bed to see you.  I'm sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were growing up.

You see........when you were very little, you got into an accident, and lost your eye.  As a mother, I couldn't stand watching you having to grow up with one eye.  So I gave you mine.

I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my place, with that eye.

With all my love to you,

Your mother."

     This son was blind, he may have had two eyes but he couldn't see.  "...For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7

     Do you have 20/20 vision, are you seeing clearly?

     The human eye is a remarkable body part, God designed it amazingly so we could see this beautiful world he created.

Did you know:

  • All babies are color blind when they are born.
  • Babies' eyes do not produce tears until the baby is approximately six to eight weeks old.
  • Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
  • Our body has some natural protection for our eyes. Our eyelashes help to keep dirt out of our eyes. Our eyebrows are made to keep sweat from running into our eyes.
  • It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
  • When you blink, you shut your eyes for 0.3 seconds.  That's a total of 30 minutes each day.
  • You blink about 12 times every minute.
  • Seeing is such a big part of everyday life that it requires about half of the brain to get involved.
  • Out of all the muscles in your body, the muscles that control your eyes are the most active.
  • The most common injury caused by cosmetics to the eye is by a mascara wand.
  • Eyes heal quickly. With proper care, it only takes about 48 hours for the eye to repair a corneal scratch.
  • Around the world, an adult goes blind every five seconds and a child goes blind every minute.
Photo by drinkingmansdiary.com
    

The "Dacusville Lion's Club" care about our eyes....  

    



      "Since the International Convention of 1920, when Helen Keller challenged the Lions to become 'Knights of the Blind in the battle against darkness', sight conservation has been a high priority of Lion's service."

     "In 1993, the efforts of Lions culminated in the Lions 'Sight First' Campaign,  a fundraising drive to raise funds to restore the sight of the 32,000,000 people in the world who have curable blindness and to prevent blindness from occurring to an equal number who might lose their sight in the next 25 years.  The campaign, which raised more than $145 million, will accomplish those goals around the world."

     The "Dacusville Lion's Club" collects donated eyeglasses, and they help provide glasses and eye exams for the ones that qualify.   
Photo by "Dacusville Lion's Club"

     The Dacusville Lion's Club's motto is: "We Serve".  They serve our community in many different ways. They help families with their bills, they helped with the children that were in the fire in our community, they help students in school, and they provide hearing aids.  They also recognize the Teacher and Staff Person of the year at Dacusville Elementary and Dacusville Middle School, and the Fireman of the year at the Dacusville Fire Department. They help with "Country Santa" located in Pumpkintown, and they do Litter Pickup, along with many other services in our community.  

     The Dacusville Lion's Club is hosting a "Chinese Auction" on Saturday, September 21st to raise money to continue serving our community. The doors open at 4:00 and the drawing will begin at 5:00.  There will also be baked goods to bid on, and a silent auction.  If you would like to donate items to the club, you can place them under the porch at their building, located at 1356 Thomas Mill Rd, Easley at anytime.

     The Dacusville Lion's Club welcomes new members, they meet 2nd and 4th Monday nights at 7:00.   
Photo by "Dacusville Lion's Club"

President/Secretary.....Jane Handley  
Vice-President.....John Clark
Treasurer.....Bob Spalding

*Their building is for RENT:  Contact Jane Handley (836-0750)  
        $60.00 per day
        8am-11pm
        Seat approx. 70 people

     
     In Mark 10:51, "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him.  The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

     Do you want to see?

     "The eye is the lamp of the body.  So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light."-Matthew 6:22

     Fix your eyes on Jesus...
     "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of this glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."-Ephesians 1:18-19

Don't know what a Chinese Auction is? Click Below:
Alterni. Amazing, Strange and Funny Eyes Facts. www.alterni.com
Dacusville Lions Club. Lions International Today. www.dacusville.org.dlion
National Eye Institute. Make Every Day A Healthy Vision Day. www.nei.nih.gov
VSP. Eyes: 15 Things Didn't Know About Them. www.vsp.com/eyes.
  



                             

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog